Pruning is one of the tasks that is often forgotten, and we only ask ourselves if it is necessary when the tree is in trouble. However, if it is done constantly and we do not abandon our trees to their fate, it does not have to be heavy and overwhelming.
• Orient the growth of the tree and give more vigor to the structure, selectively removing some branches of the tree.
• To favor an equal development in the entire specimen, since by avoiding very dense branches we favor that the light reaches evenly all parts of the crown.
• Stimulate flowering and fruiting in the case of fruit trees.
Best time to prune
Except in specific cases, the best time to prune is winter. During these months, the tree is at rest, so it will better overcome the stress of the cuts made during this task since it will lose less sap.
The cuts made must be clean, it is very important that the tools used have been sharpened and are not dirty or rusty, since otherwise they hinder healing and favor the appearance of diseases.
One-hand scissors, two-hand scissors, saws, or handsaws? There is a great diversity of cutting tools, but we have to choose the most appropriate depending on the type of cut.
Scissors or pruning shears
They are more manageable than saws and are indicated for smaller branches.
• One hand scissors. For branches of about 20 mm diameter.
• Two-handed scissors. For branches more than 30 mm in diameter.
The scissors consist of a cutting blade and another that serves as a support, and depending on the shape of these blades, several models are also distinguished according to the type of cut.
• Bypass. Both the blade and counter blade exert pressure on the wood for a clean cut and to reduce compression damage. The cutting blade protrudes from the counter blade in a similar way to scissors. They allow to cut near the stem, being ideal for tender wood.
• Anvil. The top blade pierces the wood with increased pressure while the anvil blade supports the branch and distributes the pressure until the cut is complete.
• Bias cut. Ideal for making a clean cut in green wood.
Saws or saws
Necessary to prune thicker branches. They can be attached to poles to cut the highest branches.
They are used to finish off certain thick branch cuts that are not clean with other tools. Its blade is curved and sharp, favoring a net and precise cut.
In case of danger or just maintenance, removal, pruning and felling Santa Maria Tree Services in Ocean Pines is at the forefront and caring for the trees and your residence. Contact Us.